Old Village in Mount Pleasant
The Old Village is the true heart of Mount Pleasant. It consists of 30 blocks bounded by the Charleston Harbor (west), Shem Creek (north), Royal Avenue (east), and McCants Drive (south). It is just minutes away nfrom downtown Charleston and Sullivan's Island. The Old Village historic district dates back to 1803 when James Hibben laid it out. The district was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
Then Old Village originally served as the summer residence for wealthy Charlestonians. Downtown Charleston residents wanting to escape the summer heat would flock to this area of Mount Pleasant to find eastern breezes from the Cooper River and a quiet place to call home for a few months out of the year. Due to the influx of wealthy visitors, the Old Village flourished and became the epicenter of the town of Mount Pleasant. Eventually, visitors decided to reside there permanently, much like what we see today with the Charleston area in general attracting visitors from colder states. Today, many of the original homes still stand after having been restored to maintain their historical architecture.
Then amenities in the Old Village, such as Alhambra Park and Pitt Street Bridge, are open for public use and residents enjoy a prime historical location with no HOA fee.
More on Old Village Historic District
The data relating to real estate for sale on our web site comes in part from the Broker Reciprocity Program of the Charleston Trident Multiple Listing Service. Listings held by brokerage firms other than the publisher of this website, are marked with the Broker Reciprocity logo or the Broker Reciprocitysm thumbnail logo (a little black house) and detailed information about them includes the name of the listing brokers. INFORMATION DEEMED RELIABLE BUT NOT GUARANTEED. Copyright 2018 Charleston Trident Multiple Listing Service, Inc. All rights reserved.
Updated: 19th May, 2019 11:26 PM.